book review - the couple at no 9 by claire douglas

The Couple at No. 9The Couple at No. 9 by Claire Douglas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The more I think about this book the more I take stars away ... so I think I better let it rest. 3 solid stars. Another slow read and not truly a thriller even though going in I thought as such but more of a dark mystery novel. I like Douglas' writing but this book had oodles of characters. On someone's review I think she counted 38 and I'm not joking. The premise is a couple (Saffy and Tom) moves into the wife's grandmother's house because the grandmother is in a care home suffering from dementia. Soon after their arrival there are 2 dead bodies found on the property and the basis of the plot is around who they could be and what happened decades ago when they met their demise.

There is A LOT going on in this story. At the end it felt like the author was throwing everything in her journal arsenal at the reader - too much! Less is more sometimes. Oy. If you read it, buckle up buttercup ... it's a doozy!

View all my reviews

Comments