Finding Me by Viola Davis // book review

Finding MeFinding Me by Viola Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked it. Didn't love it but it's always difficult for me to rate memoirs becaue they are truth coming to light for the reader to learn and digest. It's not a story made to entertain me rather a person's real life shown as it unfolded and was actually lived.

The majority of this book is about 8-yr old Viola and then it picks up a fast pace to the finish with her college days and then career as an actress. So much of the 'finding me' is this little girl and how she came to be, how her parents,siblings,homelife shaped her into being and how out of it, she became who she is today, guts and glory. It's a time travel to South Carolina and Rhode Island of the 60s and 70s and then New York and LA ... Ms. Davis has a clear writing style that speaks well through the pages.

She's come from a lot of love and a lot of abuse, a lot of pain, strong determination and beautiful grace. So much of the memoir is upfront and personal just as the cover.

View all my reviews

Comments