#bookreview The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

The Silent PatientThe Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

So I'm probably in a small handful of readers who didn't like this book but here goes my unpopular opinion - I'm not a fan. I had put off reading this mystery/psychological thriller and it kept popping up in my Libby app as one of the (still) popular books SO I downloaded the audio book to see what it was all about. Finally. I had heard the ending was WOW - "wait till you get to the twist at the end!" So I was told.

Mercy. That was it? I will say the two narrators for the audiobook did a fabulous job - well done and they get my one star. The plot - woman (Alicia) supposedly kills her husband (Gabriel); she's in an institution and not speaking. Ah, the title. Clever, eh? This psychotherapist, Theo, is brought on her case and begins questioning her about the crime and tries to get her to speak, to come out of her silence. She's a famous painter and I liked the art aspect but good grief, this was a slow one. There were several bits that were disjointed and wouldn't have worked in a real scenario (ex. - her being heavily drugged later on yet writing) and other parts that just didn't make sense.

The whole book is about Theo analyzing Alicia about her marriage and the whys of what happened - smattered with background on his marriage.

Basically, I figured out the twist (if you can even call it that) from the beginning so when I got to the end it was very flat. The cover to this book is plain and boring IMO as is the story. The beginning drew me in but it quickly misfired and could've been really good but nope. Pass on his future books for me.

View all my reviews

Comments