late on thursday


It's Thursday. In case you need a reminder. As I write this note to you, it's pushing near 7:30PM on the east coast. Dinner is over and the kitchen is clean again. I'm about to settle in for a few hours of stitching! I finished PERSUASION by Jane Austen today; I don't know how many times I've read the novel but it was the first time listening to the audiobook all the way through and it was a delight. It's my favorite of all Austen's novels and this reread kept it as so ~ although the part after the whole Louisa Musgrove malady ... the story was a bit slow for me after that but picked up again when dear Captain Wentworth drops his pen and writes his letter and well, swoon, shall we?


In Chapter 12, Anne Elliott, Wentworth and company frolic about the environs of Lyme Regis, The Cobb and parts of the neighborhood of Charmouth. I think PERSUASION is the novel which affords the reader more quotable passages than the other novels and in this particular chapter there are wonderful descriptive passages about the area they are walking near the sea. I was drawn to these lines . . . 

"The scenes in its neighborhood, Charmouth, with its high grounds and extensive sweeps of country, and still more its sweet retired bay, backed by the dark cliffs, where fragments of low rock among the sands make it the happiest spot for watching the flow of the tide, for sitting in unwearied contemplation - "

This passage inspired a little sampler design and I hope to share it's creation with you very soon. In the meanwhile I will share the threads and fabric.

Off to stitch!

Comments